Have you ever wondered how many calories are in a shot of vodka? Well, you're in luck! In this article, we'll break down the calorie count in your favorite alcoholic beverage and provide some insight into how vodka calories compare to other popular drinks. Plus, we'll offer some tips for enjoying vodka while keeping your health and fitness goals in check. Get ready to sharpen your vodka knowledge with Vodka Doctors, your one-stop-shop for all things vodka-related!
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
How Many Calories In A Shot Of Vodka Table of Contents
Calories in a Shot of Vodka
A standard shot of vodka (1.5 ounces or 44ml) contains roughly 96 calories. However, this number can vary depending on the proof of the vodka. The higher the proof (alcohol by volume percentage), the more calories it will have. For reference, vodka generally ranges from 80 to 100 proof.
Proof and Calorie Count
Below, we've provided a breakdown of calorie counts in vodka shots based on their proof:
- 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume) - 96 calories
- 90 proof (45% alcohol by volume) - 110 calories
- 100 proof (50% alcohol by volume) - 124 calories
How Vodka Calories Compare to Other Drinks
It's essential to keep in mind that the calorie count in your vodka drink will depend on the mixers you use. Here are some comparisons to give you a better idea of how vodka calories stack up against other popular alcoholic beverages:
- A 12-ounce beer (5% alcohol by volume) contains approximately 153 calories
- A 5-ounce glass of wine (12% alcohol by volume) has about 125 calories
- A 1.5-ounce shot of rum, gin, or whiskey (80 proof) also contains around 96 calories, similar to vodka
- A 1.5-ounce margarita (with mixers) can pack around 150 calories or more depending on the ingredients
Making Healthier Vodka Choices
It's possible to enjoy a vodka drink without derailing your health and fitness goals. Here are some tips to help you:
- Choose low- or no-calorie mixers like soda water, tonic water, or flavored seltzer
- Opt for fresh fruit or fruit juice for flavoring, but be mindful of added sugar
- Stick to the recommended serving size (1.5 ounces for a shot)
- Enjoy your vodka drinks in moderation, as excessive alcohol consumption can lead to weight gain and other health risks
How Many Calories In A Shot Of Vodka? Example:
Let's say you're at a gathering and want to enjoy a vodka drink without compromising your health goals. You can opt for a vodka soda made with 1.5 ounces of 80-proof vodka, soda water, and a splash of lime juice. This drink will provide about 100 calories, a much better option compared to a 300+ calorie fruity cocktail!
Now you have a better understanding of the calorie content in a shot of vodka and how to make healthier vodka drink choices. Don't forget to share this article with your fellow vodka enthusiasts, and let them know about Vodka Doctors - your go-to source for everything related to this versatile spirit! We have plenty of other engaging guides, like our comprehensive exploration of vodka brands or our delicious vodka cocktail recipes. So why wait? Start your vodka education journey today with Vodka Doctors!