Do you enjoy sipping on a refreshing vodka cocktail, but worry about the number of calories you might be drinking? It is commonly thought that drinking alcohol, particularly vodka, can lead to weight gain. But don't fret! We, at Vodka Doctors, are here to break down exactly how many calories are in vodka and how to enjoy your favorite drink while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle!
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
How Much Calories In Vodka Table of Contents
Understanding Vodka Calories
The number of calories in vodka primarily depends on the alcohol content. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, making it the second most calorie-dense nutrient after fat (which contains 9 calories per gram).
Most commercial vodka brands in the market are typically sold at 80 proof, containing 40% alcohol by volume (ABV). So, how many calories are in a 40% alcohol vodka?
An ounce (approximately 30ml) of 80-proof vodka contains about 96 calories. As the alcohol content goes up, so does the number of calories! For instance, a 100-proof vodka with 50% alcohol content would contain around 124 calories per ounce.
It's important to note, though, that these calorie counts are for the vodka alone and do not include any mixers or additives that you might put in a cocktail. The mixer you choose can have a significant impact on the overall calorie count of your drink.
Choosing Low-Calorie Mixers
To keep your vodka drinks lower in calories, opt for healthier mixing options. Here are some low-calorie vodka mixer ideas:
- Soda water: This zero-calorie mixer is perfect for those who want a little bit of fizz without all the added sugar. Add a splash of fresh lime or lemon juice for an extra kick of flavor.
- Diet or sugar-free sodas: If you prefer something with a bit more flavor, diet sodas offer the taste without the extra calories.
- Fresh fruit juices (in moderation): Fruit juices contain natural sugars, but they also provide vitamins and nutrients, so they're a healthier choice than sugary soda. Just make sure to watch the portion!
Popular Vodka Cocktails and Their Calorie Content
Here are some popular vodka-based cocktails and the approximate calorie count for each:
1. Bloody Mary: This classic brunch cocktail contains 150-200 calories per 8 oz. serving, depending on the mix used and garnishes added.
2. Moscow Mule: Made with vodka, ginger beer, and lime juice, a standard Moscow Mule contains around 160-210 calories, based on the ginger beer used.
3. Vodka Soda: As mentioned earlier, vodka with soda water and a squeeze of lime is a low-calorie choice, summing up to just under 100 calories.
4. Martini: A classic martini made with vodka, vermouth, and garnished with olives contains about 180-200 calories.
Remember, these calorie counts can vary based on portion sizes and ingredient choices, so making your cocktails at home gives you more control over what goes into your drinks.
How Much Calories In Vodka Example:
Let's say you're hosting a gathering and want to make a low-calorie vodka cocktail for your guests. Opt for a refreshing Moscow Mule recipe with a healthier twist:
- 1.5 oz (45ml) vodka (96 calories)
- 1 oz (30ml) fresh lime juice (8 calories)
- 4 oz (120ml) diet ginger beer (0 calories)
1. Fill a copper mug or glass with ice.
2. Pour the vodka and fresh lime juice over the ice.
3. Top with the diet ginger beer and gently stir.
4. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Total calories per serving: approximately 104 calories.
Now that you know how many calories are in vodka and how to make healthier cocktail choices, you can continue enjoying your favorite spirit without feeling guilty! If you found this guide useful, feel free to share it with your friends and fellow vodka enthusiasts. Also, explore other fantastic guides on Vodka Doctors to expand your knowledge of vodka, vodka brands, and delicious cocktail recipes. Cheers to guilt-free sipping!