Vodka sauce has been a popular, creamy and delicious addition to pasta dishes worldwide for years. At Vodka Doctors, we understand your love for vodka goes beyond cocktails, which is why we're dedicating this post to guide you through the process of creating your own vodka sauce that will impress your friends and elevate your next pasta night!
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What is Vodka Sauce?
Vodka sauce is a creamy, tomato-based sauce that typically consists of vodka, tomatoes, cream, and other flavourful ingredients. The alcohol in the vodka cooks out during the cooking process, leaving behind a rich and unique taste that enhances the flavour of your favourite pasta dishes.
Ingredients You'll Need
Before you start cooking, ensure you have the following ingredients ready:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Choosing the Vodka
When it comes to choosing the vodka for your vodka sauce, always opt for a high-quality one. This doesn't mean you need to break the bank, but do try to avoid the cheapest options on the shelves. A good quality vodka will result in a better-tasting sauce and will ensure no unwanted flavours sneak their way into your dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Slowly pour in the vodka, being careful as it may sizzle. Cook for 5-7 minutes, allowing the vodka to reduce by half. Be patient, as this will allow the alcohol to cook off and mellow the flavour.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, and allow the mixture to come to a simmer. Lower the heat, and cook for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly whisk in the heavy cream, and season the sauce with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Make sure to taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Simmer the sauce gently for another 5-7 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Once the sauce has finished cooking, stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese until it has fully melted and combined.
- Serve your vodka sauce with your favourite pasta, and enjoy!
How To Cook Vodka Sauce Example:
Our favourite way to serve vodka sauce is with a simple dish of cooked penne pasta. In a large serving bowl or individual plates, ladle the creamy sauce over cooked and drained pasta, making sure to coat each piece evenly. Garnish the dish with additional Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil or parsley for an extra touch of colour and flavour.
Now that you know how to cook vodka sauce like a pro, we hope you'll experiment with different pasta dishes and share your creations! Don't forget to explore our other Vodka Doctors guides for more tips, tricks, and recipes to elevate your vodka game. If you loved this article, don't hesitate to share it with your fellow vodka enthusiasts – happy cooking!