Are you tired of the same old vodka cocktails and looking to try something refreshing and classic? Look no further, as we introduce you to the delightful Tom Collins with a vodka twist. Undoubtedly, this is a cocktail that deserves a spot in your vodka repertoire. In this article, we'll teach you how to make a Tom Collins with vodka, share its history, and even throw in variations and garnishing tips to impress your guests. So, let's shake things up and elevate your cocktail-making skills with this timeless drink!
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
A Brief History of Tom Collins
The Tom Collins cocktail has an interesting and somewhat mysterious origin story. It's believed to have been first created in the 19th century by a London bartender named John Collins. Traditionally, the cocktail was made using Old Tom gin (hence the name), but it has evolved and can now be made with a variety of spirits, including vodka. Due to its refreshing taste and easy preparation, the Tom Collins has stood the test of time and remains a popular choice among cocktail enthusiasts.
Ingredients & Equipment Needed
Before we dive into the recipe, let's take a look at the ingredients and equipment required to make your vodka Tom Collins.
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 oz simple syrup
- Club soda
- Lemon wheel or wedge (for garnish)
- Maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- Cocktail strainer
- Collins glass
- Bar spoon
- Jigger or measuring tool
Follow these simple steps, and you'll have a refreshing Tom Collins with vodka in no time.
- In a shaker, combine the vodka, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup. Add ice and shake well.
- Fill a Collins glass with ice.
- Strain the mixture from the shaker into the glass over the ice.
- Top off with club soda, leaving room for the garnish.
- Gently stir the cocktail with a bar spoon to incorporate the club soda.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel or wedge and a maraschino cherry.
Your vodka Tom Collins is now ready to enjoy. Cheers!
Variations and Garnishing Tips
While the classic Tom Collins with vodka is an amazing cocktail on its own, there's always room for creativity and personalization. Here are some variations and garnishing tips to impress your guests and suit your taste:
- Add a splash of fruit juice like orange or pineapple for a fruitier drink.
- Experiment with flavored vodkas, such as citrus or berry, for a unique twist.
- For a herbal touch, muddle fresh basil or mint leaves in the shaker before adding the other ingredients.
- Garnish with an edible flower or a sprig of herbs like rosemary or lavender for an elegant look.
- Create your own simple syrup infused with fruits or spices to add a distinctive flavor profile.
How To Make A Tom Collins With Vodka Example:
We hope you enjoyed learning about the Tom Collins with vodka, its history, and how to make it. As you can see, making this classic and refreshing cocktail is simple and highly customizable. So, why not give it a try and add your personal twist? Be sure to explore other guides at Vodka Doctors for more interesting recipes and vodka-related content. Share this article with friends and family who might be looking for their next favorite vodka cocktail or simply want to upgrade their home bartending skills. Cheers!