As a vodka enthusiast, the world of mixology can be an irresistible journey, and what better way to broaden your vodka horizons than by going beyond cocktails and exploring the realm of culinary creations? Enter the delicious Ala Vodka Sauce. This rich, tangy, and creamy tomato-based sauce is a popular addition to pasta dishes and delivers a delightful symphony of flavors that is perfect for impressing your family, friends or that special someone. If you're ready to flex your culinary prowess and embark on a gastronomic adventure, read on for a detailed guide on how to make Ala Vodka Sauce, courtesy of Vodka Doctors.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What is Ala Vodka Sauce?
Ala Vodka Sauce, also known as Penne alla Vodka, is a decadent pasta dish that originated in Italy in the 1980s. It is made from a velvety blend of tomatoes, onions, garlic, vodka, cream, and a hint of chili, providing a sophisticated balance of flavors that will leave you craving more.
You may be wondering what purpose vodka serves in a pasta sauce. Vodka adds depth to the dish and helps develop a rich, complex taste that you cannot achieve with just tomatoes and cream alone. In addition, vodka effectively dissolves the fat-soluble compounds in the sauce, resulting in an incredibly smooth and luscious texture with each bite.
Here is a list of ingredients you'll need to create this delectable vodka sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
Follow these simple steps to make a mouthwatering Ala Vodka Sauce:
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the finely chopped onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and slightly golden. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- At this point, carefully pour in the vodka and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes until reduced by half.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly stir in the heavy cream. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the cream does not burn or curdle.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese until fully melted and incorporated. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and optional red pepper flakes to taste.
- Serve the Ala Vodka Sauce over cooked penne or your favorite pasta shape, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or basil for that perfect finishing touch.
How To Make Ala Vodka Sauce Example: