Experience the pristine taste of Iceland with one of the country's rising stars in the liquor world - Iceland Vodka. In this expansive guide, we'll take you on a journey through the land of fire and ice, exploring the birth and growth of Iceland Vodka with a closer look at what sets it apart from the competition, stories of its unique manufacturing process, and of course, delicious cocktail recipes to help awaken your inner mixologist.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
Origins of Iceland Vodka
Located in the North Atlantic Ocean, Iceland has naturally been a land of breathtaking landscapes, pure water sources and an enchanting history that extends to its love for distilled spirits. Although Iceland is more commonly associated with its famous beer and schnapps (Brennivin) productions, the country has quickly gained recognition for producing high-quality vodkas, particularly Iceland Vodka.
What Sets Iceland Vodka Apart?
The key to any spectacular vodka lies in the combination of water quality and distillation methods. Iceland Vodka uses the country's pristine glacial water, which has been naturally filtered through layers of volcanic rock. This water source imparts a unique smoothness and crispness that other vodkas are hard-pressed to replicate. Iceland Vodka is also distilled multiple times, resulting in a final product that is incredibly clean and velvety on the palate.
Another defining factor of Iceland Vodka is its commitment to sustainability. The brand takes advantage of Iceland's abundant supply of renewable energy in the form of geothermal power to fuel their production process, ensuring a smaller environmental footprint.
Notable Iceland Vodka Brands
- Reyka: Hailing from the town of Borgarnes, Reyka is one of the most famous and well-regarded Icelandic vodkas. It utilizes a unique distillation process involving a custom-built copper still and affirms its green credentials by being the first vodka in the world to use geothermal energy for production.
- Thorri: Named after the Icelandic month when winter is at its harshest, Thorri is distilled multiple times to achieve purity and smoothness. This vodka has garnered international accolades, reinforcing the world's appreciation for Iceland's dedication to premium vodka production.
Discover Iceland Vodka in Iconic Cocktails
To truly appreciate the essence of Iceland Vodka, we recommend experimenting with vodka-based cocktails using distinctive Icelandic ingredients such as Icelandic herbs, berries, and honey.
Iceland Vodka Example:
Arctic Vodka Cooler
Combine the crisp taste of Iceland Vodka with the refreshing flavors of herbs and citrus for a revitalizing beverage that is perfect for sipping on a warm, sunny day.
- 2 oz. Iceland Vodka
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 oz. simple syrup
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Club soda
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint leaves with the lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Add Iceland Vodka and ice, then shake well.
- Strain into a glass filled with ice and top up with club soda.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and a lemon wheel.
Now that you've discovered the magical allure of Iceland Vodka, it's time to take your newfound knowledge and start sharing it with your friends. Treat them to a round of Arctic Vodka Coolers and celebrate the joys of Icelandic spirits together. And let your exploration continue with other guides on Vodka Doctors, where our in-depth knowledge and passion for vodka will leave you inspired and thirsty for more.