Vodka and penne may seem like an unexpected pairing, but when combined with a creamy tomato sauce, they create the flavorful dish known as Penne alla Vodka. This popular and versatile pasta dish has a fascinating history and offers countless ways to make it your own. Whether you prefer to keep it vegetarian or add a protein of your choice, the possibilities are endless. In this guide, we'll delve into the origins of Penne alla Vodka, explore different variations, and share some tips on what goes best with this deliciously satisfying meal.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What Goes With Penne Vodka Table of Contents
A Brief History of Penne alla Vodka
Penne alla Vodka's origins are widely debated, with claims ranging from Italy, Russia, and even the United States. While its exact history remains unclear, it seems to be a fusion of Italian and Russian influences. The dish gained popularity in the 1980s and was a staple on Italian-American restaurant menus. Today, Penne alla Vodka remains a favorite in households and restaurants alike, providing a decadent and satisfying pasta option.
Basic Ingredients of Penne alla Vodka
The classic Penne alla Vodka consists of a few simple ingredients, which can be adjusted to suit your personal taste. At its core, the dish is made from:
- Penne pasta
- Tomato sauce
- Heavy cream
- Red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
While these ingredients form the base of the dish, there are numerous ways to customize it and create your ideal plate of Penne alla Vodka.
Many variations of Penne alla Vodka include protein, either incorporated into the sauce or served alongside. Some popular options are:
- Grilled or sauteed chicken
- Pan-seared shrimp
- Bacon or pancetta
- Italian sausage
Depending on your dietary preferences, you can mix-and-match proteins, create a vegetarian version, or even substitute with a plant-based protein like tofu or tempeh.
Including vegetables in your Penne alla Vodka can add color, texture, and extra nutrients to the dish. Some popular choices are:
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Roasted red peppers
- Wilted spinach
- Blanched peas
Experiment with your favorite veggies to make a unique and personalized Penne alla Vodka.
What To Serve with Penne alla Vodka
Though the dish is delicious on its own, Penne alla Vodka can be complemented by various side dishes and drinks. Some popular choices include:
- Garlic bread or bruschetta
- A simple green salad with Italian dressing
- Antipasti platter (cheese, olives, cured meats)
- Wine (Chianti, Pinot Grigio, Prosecco)
- Lightly chilled vodka, as a nod to the dish's namesake
What Goes With Penne Vodka Example:
Classic Penne alla Vodka with Chicken
For a delicious and satisfying Penne alla Vodka with chicken, follow these simple steps:
1. Cook penne pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
2. In a large skillet, cook diced chicken in olive oil until fully cooked. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, saute garlic and onion until softened. Add tomato sauce, vodka, and red pepper flakes.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
5. Stir in heavy cream and cooked chicken. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Toss the cooked penne with the sauce, adding reserved pasta water as needed to reach desired consistency.
7. Serve with grated cheese and fresh basil.
There you have it – everything you need to know about Penne alla Vodka and its many variations. By understanding its origins, basic ingredients, and countless ways to customize the dish, you can create a Penne alla Vodka meal that suits your palate and preferences. Feel free to explore our other guides on Vodka Doctors for more inspiration and knowledge, and don't hesitate to share this article with fellow vodka and pasta enthusiasts – cheers to delicious discoveries!