Vodka enthusiasts know that not all brands are created equal, and, if you've been searching for the perfect vodka to impress your friends or upgrade your cocktail game, you've probably come across Tito's. Tito's Handmade Vodka has become a household name, but what exactly sets it apart from the rest? In this article, we unravel the origins of Tito's and what makes it stand out among other vodka brands.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What Kind Of Vodka Is Tito's Table of Contents
A Little History: The Birth of Tito's
Tito's Handmade Vodka was founded in Austin, Texas, by Bert "Tito" Beveridge II in 1997. It all began in Tito's kitchen, where he tried out various recipes until he found the perfect one which would become the foundation of his brand.
Tito's Handmade Vodka was the first legal distillery in Texas, and today, it has gained international recognition and a loyal following for its quality.
Tito's Distillation Process
Tito's vodka is crafted from 100% corn and distilled six times using a traditional pot still method, resulting in a smooth and clean taste. The use of corn instead of other grains or potatoes is what makes Tito's distinctive from other vodka brands. This ingredient choice is also responsible for its gluten-free label, making it a popular choice for people with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Why The Pot Still Method Matters
Unlike the more common column still method, the pot still method allows for better control over the distillation process. It helps to remove impurities, creating a smoother finished product. This painstaking process requires the skilled hand of a master distiller and results in a high-quality, flavorful vodka that sets Tito's apart from its competitors.
Tito's Flavor Profile and Mixability
Tito's Handmade Vodka is characterized by its subtle sweetness and smooth yet peppery finish. The taste is often described as crisp, clean, and well-balanced – perfect for sipping neat or mixing in cocktails.
- Classic Cocktails: Tito's works well in iconic vodka cocktails, such as the Martini, Cosmopolitan, and Bloody Mary, raising the bar with its distinct flavor and smoothness.
- Vodka-Forward Drinks: For those who prefer to showcase vodka's unique taste, Tito's is a great choice for simple, vodka-forward drinks such as the Vodka Tonic, Vodka Sour, or Vodka Gimlet.
- Experimental Concoctions: Tito's also serves as a versatile base for more adventurous and creative cocktails, allowing mixologists to play around with endless possibilities.
What Kind Of Vodka Is Tito's Example:
To demonstrate Tito's exceptional mixability, here's a simple yet delicious cocktail recipe you can create at home:
Tito's Basil Smash
- 1 1/2 oz Tito's Handmade Vodka
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Club soda (optional)
- Muddle 4 basil leaves in a shaker.
- Add Tito's Handmade Vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and ice to the shaker.
- Shake well and strain into a glass filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of club soda, if desired, and garnish with the remaining basil leaf.
This refreshing drink highlights Tito's smooth and clean taste while showcasing how it pairs exceptionally well with other flavors.
We hope this article has shed some light on the unique qualities of Tito's Handmade Vodka and its well-deserved place in the world of premium spirits. Why not share this piece with fellow vodka enthusiasts or try out Tito's in your next cocktail? Don't forget to explore our other vodka guides and articles on Vodka Doctors to expand your knowledge and find your next favorite drink. Cheers!