Are you tired of your usual pasta dishes and looking for something to spice up your dinner routine? Look no further! Penne alla vodka is a creamy, delicious twist on classic pasta dishes. The good news is you don't have to be a professional chef to whip this up in your own kitchen. In this article, we'll show you how to make a delectable penne alla vodka using jar sauce. Say goodbye to your boring pasta nights and hello to a restaurant-worthy dish that's sure to impress your taste buds and your friends.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What is Penne Alla Vodka?
Penne alla vodka is an Italian-American dish that features penne pasta cooked in a creamy tomato sauce infused with vodka. The alcohol in the vodka enhances the flavors of the sauce, giving it a unique and delicious taste. Although the origin of this dish is uncertain, it is widely believed to have been created in the United States around the 1980s.
Ingredients You'll Need
To make penne alla vodka with jar sauce, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 lb of penne pasta
- 1 jar of store-bought vodka sauce (about 24 oz)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh basil or parsley, for garnishing
Creating this tasty penne alla vodka dish is easier than you think. Just follow these simple steps, and you'll have a gourmet pasta meal on your table in no time.
Step 1: Cook the Penne Pasta
- Boil a large pot of salted water and cook penne pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- Drain pasta and set aside. Make sure to reserve around 1 cup of pasta water for later use.
Step 2: Prepare the Vodka Sauce
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and add in the diced onion. Cook until the onions become soft and translucent, around 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, making sure not to burn it.
- Pour your jar of store-bought vodka sauce into the skillet, stirring it well with the onions and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for around 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Add Cream, Cheese, and Seasonings
- Slowly add the heavy cream into the skillet while stirring continuously to keep the sauce homogeneous.
- Next, stir in the grated Parmesan cheese until it melts into the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add crushed red pepper flakes if you prefer a bit of a kick.
Step 4: Combine Pasta and Sauce
- Add the cooked penne pasta into the skillet with the vodka sauce and gently toss to coat the pasta evenly.
- If the sauce seems too thick, add some reserved pasta water, a little at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Allow the pasta and sauce to cook together for 2-3 minutes, so the flavors meld together.
Step 5: Serve and Garnish
- Plate your penne alla vodka and garnish with chopped fresh basil or parsley and an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy your delicious, restaurant-quality pasta dish!
How To Make Penne Alla Vodka With Jar Sauce Example:
An excellent example of store-bought vodka sauce for this recipe is Rao's Homemade Vodka Sauce. It features a delightful mix of tomatoes, Parmesan and Romano cheeses, onions, garlic, and high-quality vodka. When combined with your cooked penne pasta and the additional ingredients listed above, you're sure to create a dish that rivals even the best Italian restaurants. Don't forget to garnish with some fresh basil or parsley for a pop of color and added flavor.
Congratulations, you've just learned how to make mouth-watering penne alla vodka with jar sauce! This dish is genuinely unique and delicious, guaranteed to impress your friends and family. Don't hesitate to share this article with fellow pasta enthusiasts and explore other fantastic vodka-based guides on Vodka Doctors. Who knows, you might just find your next favorite recipe or vodka cocktail!