When it comes to classic and refreshing cocktails, the Tom Collins is one that always springs to mind. As a traditional gin-based drink, there's a history and elegance that instantly transports you into the world of old-fashioned glamour. However, as lovers of vodka, we at Vodka Doctors are on a mission to create the perfect Tom Collins Vodka – a modern twist on the classic cocktail. In this guide, we'll walk you through the origins of the Tom Collins, provide a simple recipe to transform it into a vodka-centric beverage, and give you some innovative ideas to make the ultimate Tom Collins Vodka!
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
Origins of the Tom Collins
The Tom Collins has its roots in 19th century England, originally created by John Collins, a bartender at Limmer's Old House in London. The classic recipe used Old Tom Gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water, resulting in an effervescent and invigorating cocktail. The name "Tom Collins" eventually emerged as a combination of the Old Tom Gin and the original creator's surname.
Introducing Vodka to the Classic Tom Collins
Given the global popularity of vodka and its versatility in cocktails, it's no surprise that mixologists and vodka enthusiasts have been eager to explore ways to bring this spirit into the world of the Tom Collins. The concept is simple - replace the gin with vodka, while keeping the other ingredients intact, resulting in a clean, crisp, and reinvigorating version of the classic cocktail. To make a Tom Collins Vodka, you will need the following ingredients:
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup
- Carbonated water (club soda or sparkling water)
- Fresh lemon slices and maraschino cherries for garnish
Basic Tom Collins Vodka Recipe
Now that you have all the ingredients you need, follow these simple steps to make a Tom Collins Vodka:
- In a mixing glass or cocktail shaker, combine 2 ounces of vodka, 1 ounce of lemon juice, and ½ ounce of simple syrup.
- Add ice to the mixture and shake well until chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a tall glass filled with fresh ice.
- Top off the glass with carbonated water.
- Gently stir the cocktail to mix.
- Garnish with a lemon slice and a maraschino cherry.
Perfecting Your Tom Collins Vodka
There are countless ways to elevate your Tom Collins Vodka and make it truly your own. Here are some creative suggestions:
- Choose a high-quality vodka: Selecting a premium brand of vodka can drastically improve the overall taste of your Tom Collins Vodka and give it a smoother finish.
- Experiment with flavored vodkas: Consider using flavored vodka in your recipe to add depth and character to your cocktail. A citrus or berry-flavored vodka pairs well with the Tom Collins Vodka.
- Add fresh herbs: Muddle some fresh basil, mint, or rosemary in the mixing glass for an added layer of flavor.
- Infuse your simple syrup: Create a flavored simple syrup by infusing it with fruits, herbs, or spices. To make a lavender simple syrup, add a few sprigs of fresh lavender to your simple syrup as it's cooling.
How To Make Tom Collins Vodka Example:
For a unique twist, try creating a Raspberry Lemon Collins Vodka:
- Muddle a few fresh raspberries in the bottom of your mixing glass.
- Add 2 ounces of lemon-flavored vodka, 1 ounce of lemon juice, and ½ ounce of simple syrup to the muddled raspberries.
- Follow the rest of the steps in the Basic Tom Collins Vodka Recipe above.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and a lemon wheel.
So, there you have it – the Vodka Doctors' ultimate guide to creating the perfect Tom Collins Vodka. We encourage you to experiment and discover your own unique and personalized recipe that will make this classic cocktail distinctively your own. Be sure to explore other guides and cocktail recipes at Vodka Doctors, and if you've enjoyed our Tom Collins Vodka adventure, don't forget to share it with your fellow vodka enthusiasts! Cheers to a fabulous and refreshing drinking experience - all thanks to the ultimate Tom Collins Vodka!