Are you tired of plain vodka and looking to elevate your cocktail game? Look no further! In this guide, we will explore the delicious world of vanilla infused vodka. This simple yet elegant infusion will not only impress your taste buds, but your friends and family as well. Learn how to make vanilla infused vodka from scratch, and introduce a more sophisticated flavor to your favorite vodka cocktails.
Best Budget Vodkas Ranked
What You'll Need
To make vanilla infused vodka, you'll need the following ingredients and equipment:
- A high-quality vodka (preferably unflavored)
- Fresh vanilla beans (about 2-3 beans for every 750ml of vodka)
- A glass jar or bottle with a tight lid
- A sharp knife
- A funnel (optional)
- A fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth (for straining)
Choosing Your Vodka
When it comes to infusing vodka, start with a high-quality, unflavored vodka. This will ensure a clean tasting infusion that allows the vanilla flavor to shine through. You can use your favorite vodka brand, but make sure it's unflavored and not too harsh or low-quality. A smooth, neutral vodka will create the perfect base for your infusion.
Preparing The Vanilla Beans
For this infusion, fresh vanilla beans are the way to go for maximum flavor and aroma. Look for beans that are moist, plump, and shiny, with a dark brown color. Avoid using old or dried out beans, as they won't have as much flavor to contribute.
To prepare your vanilla beans, follow these simple steps:
1. Using a sharp knife, split each bean in half lengthwise, exposing the tiny seeds inside.
2. Scrape out the seeds using the back of the knife, and set them aside.
3. You can either discard the remaining bean husks or add them to the infusion for a more intense flavor.
Infusing The Vodka
Once your vanilla beans are prepared, it's time to infuse the vodka. Follow these steps to create your delicious infusion:
1. Pour your chosen vodka into a clean glass jar or bottle. If you're using a narrow-necked bottle, a funnel might come in handy.
2. Add the scraped vanilla seeds and the bean husks (if using) to the vodka.
3. Seal the jar or bottle tightly and give it a good shake to disperse the vanilla seeds throughout the vodka.
4. Store the jar in a cool, dark place, like a pantry or cupboard, to infuse for at least one week. The longer you let it sit, the more intense the flavor will be.
5. Give the jar a good shake every day or two to mix the seeds and disperse the flavors.
6. After at least one week, strain the vodka through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove the bean husks and any stray seeds. Transfer the infused vodka to a clean jar or bottle, and store it in a cool, dark place until you're ready to use it.
How To Make Vanilla Infused Vodka Example:
Vanilla Vodka Martini
Here's a simple and elegant cocktail you can enjoy using your homemade vanilla infused vodka:
- 2 oz vanilla infused vodka
- 1 oz dry vermouth
- lemon twist, for garnish
1. In a cocktail shaker, combine the vanilla infused vodka, dry vermouth, and ice. Shake well until chilled.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass.
3. Express the lemon twist over the glass to release the oils, then drop it into the cocktail. Enjoy!
Now that you know how to make your very own vanilla infused vodka, you can experiment with new recipes and variations on your favorite cocktails. The rich and smooth vanilla flavor adds a touch of elegance to any drink, so don't be shy in using it in your signature cocktails. If you've enjoyed this guide, don't forget to explore Vodka Doctors for more in-depth guides, recipes, and cocktail inspiration. Share this article with your friends, so they too can join the vanilla-infused vodka fun! Cheers!